This week on the podcast we sit down with husband and wife team of Crystal and Jim Whitmarsh, owners of Trail Creek Coffee Roasters. Trail Creek Coffee Roasters is a small business that started out of a garage and has recently transitioned into a shared commercial space in downtown Kasson. The business aims to provide small batch specialty coffee roasts and has a passion for connection, community, and global impact.
On the podcast today, we chat about:
· The value Jim and Crystal found in working with the local organization Community and Economic Development Associates (CEDA).
· How the pair took advantage of Minnesota’s Cottage Food Exemption act to sell their product for several years and build up a customer base before pursuing a commercial space.
· How the pair was set up on a blind date over 15 years ago during college and spent much of their early relationship in a coffee shop, which fueled their dreams to one day own their own coffee business.
· How Jim taught himself to roast coffee with online videos and a vintage popcorn machine.
· The transition to being “all in” in the business.
· The need to budget more time and money than expected when building out commercial space.
· The value of growing a business in a sustainable manner.
· How they’re dealing with fear of failure.
Links from the podcast today:
Trail Creek Coffee Roasters
Investors and Innovators Forum