Today on the podcast we sit down with Chris Schad, Director of Business Development for Discovery Square. Discovery Square is one of the six Destination Medical Center (DMC) subdistricts and is specifically focused on biomedicine, research, and technology innovation. DMC is the largest public-private economic development initiative in the state of Minnesota to catalyze growth in the Rochester area over the next twenty years.
Today on the podcast we talk about:
· DMC and the DMC subdistricts.
· The three current DMC priorities.
· The dream vision for the Discovery Square DMC subdistrict.
· How DMC can help entrepreneurs by spreading stories of entrepreneurship on a large scale, identifying gaps in the entrepreneurial ecosystem, and bringing programs like the Assistive Tech Challenge to the region to spur prototype development and ideation.
· The significance of the topping off ceremony at the first new building in the Discovery Square subdistrict, called One Discovery Square.
· The value proposition for attracting businesses to Rochester.
· Additional activities in Discovery Square and Rochester as a whole.
· Challenges that DMC and the city of Rochester face in implementing this large economic initiative in this city.
“The most exciting [challenge] is the challenge of big expectations. The state is watching us. The state has invested a lot of money in what we’re doing here, and we have to rise to the challenge of those expectations.” -Chris Schad, Director of Business Development, Discovery Square