This week on the podcast we check in with Abbey Sass of Civil Sass Hops. Civil Sass Hops is a hops yard on a third-generation family farm in Chatfield, MN, owned by Abbey and her husband Jake Sass. Civil Sass Hops is a woman and veteran owned business. On the show today, we sit down with Abbey and talk about:
· Her introduction to southeast Minnesota as a Kansas native and the rural tourism she sees taking place now outside of Rochester.
· How the dichotomy of the name Civil Sass Hops reflects the culture of the business.
· The history of hops growth in Minnesota.
· The value of fresh hops in local beers.
· How hops factor into the beer brewing process.
· Abbey’s career as an interior designer, designing hotels nationwide.
· Her husband Jake’s entrepreneurial passion from a young age and how they collaborate as a husband/wife team to run Civil Sass Hops.
· The importance of open and honest communication in running a business.
· The next steps for Civil Sass Hops, including an expansion of acreage and increased collaboration efforts, both with new breweries and with markets that might be just a bit unexpected for hops.